Friday, April 4, 2008

The best $5.38 i ever spent

I placed an order from a major online music retailer a couple weeks ago. I purchased a few odds and ends including strings. They were discounted because they were blemished, but I figured I'd save a couple bucks and take my chances. How "blemmed" can steel strings be.
When the package came Micah, our Lead Pastor, asked what I ordered. I hadn't seen the box, yet and just ran down the list of cable, and strings that I had purchased. He had a curious look on his face and mentioned that the box was so big that he thought I bought a new guitar. Being a little confused myself, we went down to check it out. Sure enough, the box was huge, and we started unpacking. We pulled out all of the stuff that I ordered except for the blemished strings and there was one box left just slightly smaller then the shipping box. On the end it had a barcode that matched the strings that I had purchased, but the box was covered with "Fender" logos. I was in complete disbelief when I opened the box and pulled out this:

It's the the Fender Sonoran SCE. The "SCE" means it has a cutaway and electronics to plug into a sound system. I called the retailer and told them about the mixup, but they told me that because it was there mistake I was welcome to keep the guitar. So that's the story of how I got super lucky and got a $300 guitar for $5.38.

I've been picking up a few other guitars lately and thought I'd post them for you're viewing enjoyment. I'm becoming quite the shredder these days.


On the left is a Fender Strat, made in Mexico, but with upgraded pickups. It plays and sounds great. On the right is a Slammer by Hamer. Basically a Les Paul clone. It plays pretty well, and it stays in tune. It will probably be a project guitar to do a little "hot-rodding" to. Craigslist is amazing!

1 comment:

Chris and Sarah said...

Jeremy, that is a totally insane story. I'm gonna give you a wish list for me and hopefully you can spend $5.38 of my money and get me some sweet deals. Dang.